The PestWest range of electric fly control units was first developed in the early 1980s by Mike Kemp. Its innovative designs and features, now copied by many other manufacturers, soon made it a favourite among professional pest controllers worldwide.
- In 1991, PestWest Electronics Limited, was set up to develop the electric fly control range within the Killgerm Group and also further developed the concept of insect light traps, which use sticky boards rather than high voltage killing grids to control the insects. Although this was not a new concept, PestWest has made it a standard method of control in a number of markets through patented innovations.
- In 2001 a separate company PestWest USA LLC was set up in the USA to look after the American market, which PestWest had entered in 1993.
- In April 2004, the company was awarded the Queen’s Award for Enterprise in the International Trade division. This is the highest award a UK company can receive for excellence.
The company’s success is very much export based. It now supplies products for the control of flying insects to over 70 countries throughout the world. This success has been recognised by a number of awards, such as:
- Export Times: Corporate Exporter of the Year 1999,
- Trade Partners UK: Yorkshire and Humberside regional award for Export 2000,
- Trade Partnership UK: Grand Champion award for export 2000,
- Export Times: International Business Award for Best Use of Education and Training 2001.
Throughout Europe, PestWest products are seen as being high-quality products with added value, produced at a competitive price. The basis for the company’s success is its depth of scientific knowledge and its commitment to listening to customers’ needs.
As part of the Killgerm Group, PestWest has access to the expertise of Killgerm’s technical department and particularly its knowledge of the biology and habits of flying insects. Coupled with this is the electrical engineering expertise of the company’s Technical Director, John Greening, who has been designing and overseeing the manufacture of fly killing units and insect light traps for over 30 years.
This level of experience, coupled with an ability to talk to pest control professionals in the field, has enabled the company to manufacture the units that most operators prefer to handle. All production is carried out either in Ossett, UK or in the new-state-of-the-art production facility in Vietnam. The company is ISO 9001:2000 Quality Assurance registered.